Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

The Screwtape Letters XXVI-XXXI

Chapter XXVI: Unselfishness. 


I had a rather hard time interpreting what this chapter was talking about, but one of the words that stood out to me was "unselfishness". I struggle with unselfishness in almost everything and anything! Sometimes I don't even realize I'm doing something only for myself and I'm not thinking of others. One of the virtues/attributes that Jesus had when He came to us as a human was unselfishness. In order to be a good example and leader, I need to learn unselfishness and implement it into my daily life. It's not about me, it's about you. 


ChapterXXVII: "The use of his 'love' to distract his mind from the Enemy is, of course, obvious, but you reveal what poor use you are making of it when you say that the whole question of distraction and the wandering mind has now become one of the chief subjects of his prayers. " (Lewis, 147). 


Wow. It's monday morning and it's time to go to the SAC. I sit down and Mr. Sakurai begins to speak. After a short devotional its straight to prayer. The devotional was short so we actually have 10 minutes till the first period begins. About 4 minutes into the prayer my mind is already wandering, drifting away to "day-dream-land". Here is where I'm making a big mistake. Screwtape and Wormwood want to distract people during their prayers so that they aren't giving their prayers some real thought. When we aren't thinking about our prayers, it is like reading a chapter in a book while thinking of something else. By the end of the chapter you don't even know what you were reading. I must endure those long prayers and focus! I must remember to keep my concentration because I am talking to God!


Chapter XXVIII: It is definitely weird that Screwtape, the one who wants to create chaos and suffering in all humans lives, would want his most hated type of humans, Christians, to continue living. Why would someone as evil and hateful as Screwtape want his primary enemy not experience the painful consequence and punishment for our disobedience against God - death? Never thought of our continuation of living as an advantage/opportunity for Screwtape. The longer we live, the more chances there are of us losing our faith and temptation finally getting to us. However, this definitely does not mean that we should commit suicide. God wants us to continue carrying out His Will until we die even though Screwtape might have more opportunities to turn us away from Christianity. 


Chapter XXIX: "To be greatly and effectively wicked a man needs some virtue. What would Atitila have been without his courage, or Shylock without self-denial as regards the flesh?" (Lewis, 159). 


Here is yet another example of Screwtape taking something good, and making it sinful. Courage is something I ask for God daily. Whether it is to overcome homework or take a stand for my faith. Screwtape can take something like courage and use it as a strong motive to do bad. He can take good things and twist it for bad use like giving someone courage to rob a bank. 


Chapter XXX: It surprises me how Wormwood and Screwtape still work together. If I were Wormwood, I would ditch Screwtape already. "Bring us back food, or be food yourself." What a treacherous "uncle". This book kind of shows you the unfriendly and uncaring relationship that all the tempters have with each other. 


Chapter XXXI: This has ought to be my most favorite chapter in the entire book. It talks about how Wormwood's patient had gone through struggles upon struggles and finally he got to Heaven. I can't even imagine how awesome that must feel. When I finally finish an essay and all my worries and problems are finished, I get a sense of relief and a great amount of happiness; and yet a great happiness like that won't even compare to how awesome it will be when all my struggles are over and I am able to go to heaven to meet God in person!

No comments:

Post a Comment