Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Chapters V-VIII Questions

Chapter V: What is Screwtape's idea on the bewt way for humans to die? Why?
Answer: Screwtape thinks the best way for the person to die is in a costly care home. I think he wants this to happen because people who are old or sick are usually told they are going to make it, even when the sad truth is that they aren't. People who are in situations where the chances of dying are higher, such as war, are more likely to turn to God for hope and comfort. People who still think they have more time to live are not really pushed to turn to God.


Chapter VI: How does "...malice thus becomes wholly real and the benevolence largely imaginary" (Lewis, 28)? How does this apply to your life
Answer: Well, I hope I am correct on this, but I think what Screwtape is trying to say is that when you show some one malice and benevolence, people only remember the malice. In other words, even if you do good things and show kindness to someone, they still remember all the bad and evil things you have done. I am very guilty of doing this. When I look or remember the things someone has done, it is usually the bad things I remember and not the acts of kindness that person has shown to me. It is kind of like looking at the negatives of someone, which is bad. I have to focus on the good things rather then the bad things of all the people I meet and befriend. 


Chapter VII: How do you picture the devil? What does this chapter challenge you about regarding the spiritual warfare over your soul?
Answer: I picture the devil as a dangerous and evil demon. Challenges me to stay focused on the Lord and not let anything distract me because it seems Screwtape is always trying to distract the person from focusing on God.


Chapter VIII: "Our cause is never more in danger, than when a human, no longer desiring, but intending, to do our Enemy's will, looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys. (Lewis 40). What are your thoughts on this?
Answer: It is true because Christians can desire to serve God and still do nothing; but when Christians begin to do God's will, that is when Screwtape and the rest of his friends are in danger. Many people come up with great ideas on how to advance God's will but not so many go out and actually do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment