Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

A Modest Proposal

My response to Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal...


I figured that this story would be like all the other stories that I've read. Like the stories I've read in the past weeks in British Literature, but I was horribly wrong. Oh my goodness. It started out sort of normal. I thought he was pitying the poor and the less fortunate. He described how many woman and children were out there on the streets begging for food and money. He explained how many of these children became thieves because of the harsh and cruel environment they lived in. Then he began to depict his solution. It was pretty horrible. I totally forgot that this was a satire, so I took this story completely seriously that he actually wrote this proposal with serious intentions. It talked about how he promotes eating children as food. He went into so much detail as to when to "butcher" them and eat them. When they are the most "delicious". He said how it didn't cost a lot and how it solved many of their problems: but seriously? sacrificing children? TO EAT?! That has got to be close to the top of my list of the most worst things to do in this world. Ethically it is wrong plus think of the children. People are trying to eat you and you cant run to the police cause their trying to eat you too. You can make your mom protect you cause she is in a deal with the government to sell you as food. What a horrible life. Then he mentioned it was a satire at the end. He said how he would never do such a thing. I was relieved...


End of Five Minute Response to A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift. 

No comments:

Post a Comment