Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Byron Poem

The Arranged Bride

The day has come.
It is the end.
My mind is numb.
My heart can't mend.

As she walks,
With all so white, 
And as she talks,
Here tonight...

For it's today,
The knot is tied.
But I must say,
She's not my bride.

For It's not real.
It must be fake.
For I don't feel, 
What love can make. 

My poem follows the same rhyme scheme of Byron's "On This Day I Complete My Thirty-Sixth Year". This poem is meant to represent natural over the artificial. It's about an arranged marriage and how this person doesn't feel natural love. It's as if this "artificial" love was forced on them and its nothing like the real thing. 

Works Cited

Gordon, George. "On This Day I Complete My Thirty-Sixth Year." British Literature. Ed. Ronald H. Horton. Greenville, SC: BJU Press, 2003. 562-563. Print

1 comment: